Sunday, March 1, 2015

Remix Assignment (Warning: violent and sexual language in images)





For my assignment I decided to tackle the issue of online sexual harassment. I wanted to place the responsibility and pressure on the perpetrator rather than the victim. I am remixing the identity of the perpetrator. Instead of seeing their own reflection they are forced to examine the reflections of their words and actions. No what their appearance on the outside is their internal self and online image begin to converge. 
To convey this message I found images of people looking into mirrors, drew over any watermarks or previous texts, cut out their reflections, and replaced the reflections with comments I found on various websites (youtube, 4chan, reddit, YikYak, and facebook) demonstrating online sexual harassment. I used the program FireAlpaca (similar to photoshop) to create all three of the images. The process of finding the comments was emotionally exhausting to say the least. My idea of a good night usually does not involve actively looking for such demeaning and violent comments. However, my experience in compiling the images together and formatting the comments was difficult but enjoyable once I got the hang of it. 

images hosted on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131665215@N07/

Creative Commons License
Combat Online Sexual Harassment by Catherine Wadley is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.

No comments:

Post a Comment