Monday, March 2, 2015

Dannie's Remix Project

My final project is about Instagram hashtag censorship and Instagram eating disorder communities. I know that these communities exist within and outside of the digital world, and so I wanted to remix media content to show how the two collide. I took two original magazine covers (Women’s Health magazine) and altered some of the headlines. I know that on Instagram, people with pro-anorexia accounts often post pictures that are very similar to the photographs of the thin women on magazine covers as “thinspiration.” I therefore believe they are influenced by these magazines. What I found most interesting is that it is difficult to distinguish between the written content that I produced, and that which was on the original versions. I removed some of the headlines, and wrote some that are common phrases within these Instagram communities. To connect this to Instagram, I then added the “content advisory” that is shown where searching anorexia-related hashtags on Instagram. I did this to imply that these magazines should come with warnings too because they contain graphic content and may lead to eating disorders.



Creative Commons License
Not Women's Health by Danielle McCullough is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License

No comments:

Post a Comment