Sunday, March 1, 2015

Man Not Machine

Creative Commons License
Man Not Machine by Madeleine Alvarado is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at http://youtu.be/aQKDxIFSI90.

My remix assignment was focused on prosthetic technology. Amputees are given a chance to accomplish normal human function through the advancements in medical and prosthetic technology. However, these advancements have become so novel and caught the eye of the able bodied. Some scientists believe that the human body is obsolete and inefficient. Cybernetics look to replace what makes us human and make us advanced superhuman machines. I found video clips of many amputees who have benefitted from prosthetic advancements, allowing them to complete basic tasks such as walking or playing the drums. I contrasted these clips with more radical and weaponized integration of technology into humans, both scientific and Hollywood images. I advocate for prosthetics to allow the disabled to reacquire natural human function, and I advocate against cybernetics on able bodied individuals. I used iMovie to edit the youtube clips collected.

No comments:

Post a Comment